- Asteroids are rocky remains from the formation of the solar system about 4.6 billion years ago.
- There are millions of asteroids in the belt.
- The asteroid belt is between Mars and Jupiter.
- The size of the belt is estimated about a few hundred feet and a few hundred miles in diameter.
- There about four different types of asteroids so far known:
- Ceres these are the largest that they were classified as dwarf planets.
- Gaspra are made up of rocky and metallic minerals.The surface is covered with impact craters which is estimated 200 million years ago.
- Vesta are the third largest it has a very complex surface.
- Eros is the only asteroid with a very odd shape and it is also found out side the main a asteroid belt.
- Comets are clumps of rocks and cold dirty ice.
- They orbit very close to the sun but some of them go past Neptune called the Kuiper belt.
- As the comet goes past the sun it melts a away a bit so a mixture of dust and gas is pushed from the comet by the solar wind.
- The long tail is called a coma.
- The tail always points away from the sun.